CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Time for an update much?

Ha: so, funny story....

Really, there isn't one. I've just been stupendously lazy and haven't updated at all. Go figure. Guess these old habits die hard: but to think, when I first got a blog like a year ago, that's all I seemed to do was post. Crazy. Well, I suppose I've become older and (somewhat) wiser, and have discovered the joys that are face to face or phone comunicado. Or IM: IM still is best.

So yeah! Onto an update of my life since mid-May. In short:

-Had a devil of a time finding a job. Nobody seemed to want to hire a college kid for summer employment! Geez! Here I was thinking I was a shoo in... guess not. I felt bad, because for awhile there I was sincerely thinking that I would have to just lie and say that I wasn't going to return to SFA in the fall just so they'd hire me and I could quit when I had to go back. But that would make me feel cravitzy and that's no good.
-Got Job 1: Tutoring Center. Great! The owner calls me back like three weeks after I had interviewed there and offers me 4 meager hours a week, 2 each on T/R. Okay, well, it's a start, I tell myself. At least it's semi-gainful employment. Plus, you can't beat the location: the place is literally less than 5 minutes away down Exchange. Yes!! So I take that, and so began my tutoring odyssey.
-I checked craigslist.org (which, by the way, is a fabulous site: if you haven't gone there yet, go now) like a madwoman just looking for any other jobs that I could take that would supplement the tutoring gig. I sent out entirely too many emails, copies of my resume, and burnt gas up just dropping off all these applications at what seemed like everywhere. I did get one interview for a night receptionist position, and drove all the way to Plano to interview only to be told that there was a mistake and they really were looking for someone on a more permanent basis. The lady who interviews me then wraps with something along the lines of "We'll call you if we can't find anybody better." Way to raise the ole' self-esteem meter, lady. Thanks a ton. Other than that interview, though, nobody responds.
-Then, I come across (on craigslist) a magical post: kennel assistant needed in Kinney. Great! I think- I worked for years at the Animal Shelter doing probably what these people would want me to do, and wasn't even paid for it! If I could get paid to do that, which I did enjoy doing, that would make my day! So I check, summer employment is just fine to this guy, and I email him a resume, and an interview and a few phone calls later, I've got Job #2 bagged. Yes. Not only that, but it's $9 an hour to take care of dogs! Woo!
-And that brings us up to now. I now juggle 2 jobs and in a normal week have *maybe* 2 days I don't have to work, which are usually not weekends. Days at the kennel are long (7:30am-6pm), but bearable if you can work 'em right. There's always massive amounts of laundry to be done there, it seems, and no matter how hard you try to work down the mountain of dirty towels and blankets, more seems to be manufactured by the hour! What's really crappy is the fact that the 2 dryers we have to work with don't do an exceptionally good job at drying stuff... so a lot of times you get the lovely leaning tower of wet towels stacked atop the dryer, waiting for their turn to go tumbling around the luke-warm basket. Anyway, enough about towels. Up at the kennel I also cross-train up at the front desk, which is really a lot of fun. I've made a couple mistakes (which was very disappointing to me for some reason), but I really love the thrill that front desk gives you: you get to meet all these new people, handle invoicing and large bills, plus people practically throw their credit card at you! Half the time I won't even have the total halfway out of my mouth before there's a shiny piece of plastic being proffered. *shrug* Well, good for them I guess. :) Anyway, yes, it's pretty enjoyable. The vet techs there, though, are the only drawback. They're paid lord knows what an hour to give shots, stick thermometers up a dog's rear, give vaccinations and, of course, stand around to chat, but heaven forbid kennel staff are caught sitting around not doing anything: we always get promptly yelled at to do something menial like windex a door or mop a floor that has already been mopped twice before (but not with any watter less than pristine!!!). That's the part I really don't appreciate, to be honest: that, and the fact that the a/c doesn't exactly work in the back. It's rather nasty work, all told, but I try to make it worth it.

So yeah! That's what's going on in the life right now. As far as I know, there's no plans for vacations. My grandparents already came and went at the beginning of June, and we begged off of visiting them this summer with the promise of coming up at Thanksgiving. I'm not sure how I feel about this, frankly, as it's going to mean missing 2 classes and also missing the last football game (which I'm not devastated about, really: I'm more freaked about what my band director's gonna say when he finds out!). Hopefully it will be worthwhile: not that spending time with family isn't, of course, but you know what I mean. I guess I won't die if I have to go spend one more week sleeping in the "finished" (note the quotes) basement of my grandparent's house while my parents and myself try every trick in the book to get my grandparents to move down to Texas already.

Well, that's it. I have a 6:20 alarm for tomorrow all set and ready to go, so all that's left now, really, is for me to toddle off to bed (or, rather, put my computer on the floor and go to sleep, since I'm currently in bed snuggled under all the lovely blankets!!)

Much love,
~r

No comments: