CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy 2009!

Given that it's a new year, I figure it's about time that I updated this blog. I could throw a thousand excuses out there for why I don't update it more often, but in the end it comes down to the fact that by the time I think about writing, I'm much more inclined to do some creative writing than write about the mundane things that are happening to me in day to day life.

So here we are: semester in review. Here's what I managed to get accomplished:
-took 17 hours of credit
-kept my spot on the President's List (4.0)
-joined Kappa Delta Pi, an education honor society
-got accepted into teacher education
-started music classes for my minor
-finally figured out how to sing in a minor key
-had a not so great roommate and let the police into my room where they found drug paraphernalia
-got into a better living situation
-had my doubts but learned to overcome them
-survived a hurricane
-had my last ever performance on a marching field.

Overall, not a bad semester, all told. The holiday season went pretty well, too. Thanksgiving was rather frustrating, mostly for the conflicts in scheduling that kept popping up. I only got home a couple times this semester, which was kinda weird, but given how it flew by, I didn't seem to mind it as much as I thought I would. Maybe I'm finally growing up- strange thought.

The one thing I didn't accomplish was coming to terms with the fact that I'm turning twenty this year. I know it doesn't seem huge, but to me, putting that '2' in the tens place kinda is freaky. I mean, I have plenty of friends who've survived twenty, but I just can't believe that I'll be twenty years old come April! I guess it makes sense: I'm living away from home for the majority of the year, have what amounts to an on-campus apartment, have a job at school and worked two jobs this past summer... in that sense, I'm an adult. Legally I've been one for two years now. But it's still kinda crazy to think about, especially when it doesn't seem so long ago that I was in high school.

Oh well: in the end, it's just one of those things that ends up happening. The good news is that every year that passes means I'm just that much closer to becoming a teacher. I'm still clinging to the idea that I can be a really good teacher one day: I'm making 'A's in all the classes, and I seem to take the ones related to my subject more seriously than most people do. I know that being smart is only one part of the job, but I can't help but hope that genuinely knowing what I'm talking about will make a difference. I have all these ideas and dreams about these lessons I could be doing with my class, and I can't wait to implement them in a classroom of my own, but I'm always having to remind myself it won't be all rainbows and unicorns: more like anemic stormclouds and dirty white horses. *shrug* I suppose it will come soon enough, but I'm still excited that by the end of this semester, I'll be officially halfway through college. Yay!

What else... Oh, I didn't bother to call the kennel where I worked this summer to see if I could pick up some hours this week and next, so I'm spending the rest of my long winter break just lounging around the house. Yesterday I didn't even bother to do anything: I spent all day in sweats, watching a new series I found on Hulu called Legend of the Seeker. It's fantasy (and so yes, rather nerdy), but I enjoyed it. It'll no doubt be added to the already lengthy list of television shows I insist upon keeping up with, although without Pushing Daisies on Wednesdays, those are beginning to look just about as dismal as Mondays.

Today I sewed more of my Renaissance dress. I shocked even myself with how well it seems to have come out. It actually looks like a real dress now, rather than yards of folded material. I have to admit, I'm rather proud of the domestic diva that I've become. Not only can I decorate a sugar cookie like Martha Stewart, I can bake any variety of items, cook reasonably well, dress myself in a way that gets compliments, clean an apartment top to bottom (with some much-needed breaks for television, of course), and now sew actual items! I know- it's only a pity that I was born in this century. Any other and I would be looked upon as a very eligible young lady. Nowadays, not so much.

Anyway, on that happy note, I'll wrap this entry up. I'd say that I'll be trying to make an effort to post on a more consistent basis, but until the semester begins in force, I can't make any promises. My goal will be at least one post during the semester: sound good? I thought so too. ;)

Happy 2009!
~r

No comments: